Saturday 13 April 2013

Mugabe is 'E, ba gum' spelt backwards

SHARE
"History is not what you thought. It is what you can remember." (Sellars & Yeatman)

A stray memory of Margaret Thatcher's time in power. Lord Carrington pointed out that: 
"Mugabe is 'E, ba gum' spelt backwards."

I do not mourn Margaret Thatcher, though I have come to admire her in fairly many ways and am very deeply moved by her death, as all Englishmen of a certain age are, but I shall mourn Lord Carrington very much when he meets the Grim Reaper. Long life to his Lordship.

All this public malevolence displayed towards Lady Thatcher back in England is in very deplorable taste, of course, and very uncharitable but it is marvellously 18th century and a celebration of freedom which is very threatened nowadays - politicians are not protected by hate speech legislation thank God. But riots and looting, though also 18th century, are not a joke, though they do underline Margaret Thatcher's greatness - these are her enemies in public view. As she said after the Brixton riots of 1981,


Oh the poor shopkeepers.

11 comments:

  1. Yes. One of the few honourable men in modern-day politics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But Maggie made a bloody mess of Rhodesia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree but it seemed otherwise at the time - Smith stupidly turned down a great offere from Heath and Home stupid man.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are more civilised. I will just have a quiet celebratory drink when Mandela finally pops his clogs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In the Link to the Mail and elsewhere most of the Death Partyers were not yet or not long born when Mrs. Thatcher was PM. This is, it appears mostly and even merely bad behavior; atrocious behavior. This sort of thing doesn't yet happen in America. It does happen but on a much smaller scale and is prompted by something(s) other. I'm not quite sure how to evaluate/ analyse it on the whole. But I'm sure I will contemplate it further.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As I see more reporting and video of the Death Celebrations it seems that the people are not in very large majority young hooligans. I see seemingly large numbers of middle-age and plus acting angry, wild and tangling with police. I don't understand this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I said I don't understand but maybe I do. The truth I suppose, is that culturally Britain is a social democracy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish it was still the Britain (England) of my imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Me too! But the old country is still a wonderful place and in some ways is going though a good period. It has much more style and taste than in the 1960s and 1970s.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Everywhere does. Have more style and taste than in the 60's and 70's. Whether past that era or missed it, like Romania. Right? Right.

    ReplyDelete