Wednesday 3 April 2013

The Hotel Baron at war

SHARE



I occasionally google the Hotel Baron, Aleppo to see how the grand old lady is enduring the war in Syria but did not do so recently. Then I came across this article by chance and I was very sad to hear of Mr. Maziourman's difficulties. He is a very nice man.

The Baron is my favourite hotel in the world and my spiritual home. Laurence of Arabia stayed there and decamped without paying his bill. (If I had done that I would have been arrested, perhaps by the secret police, but in his case they are proud of it.) It still has BOAC posters on the wall from the 1940s. They are just like the reproduction BOAC posters that you used to see everywhere in England in the BOAC except that these are originals which are still there because nobody ever thought to replace them.

I wrote this about my visit to the Hotel Baron back in 2007:

Heavenly - a reason in itself to visit Syria. Hard to book a room even well in advance, shabby, holes in the carpets, run to seed but like stepping into a 1936 film. When I was there in 2007 most rooms were $40 but I paid $70 for the suite where Assad snr stayed in the 70s. Please stay here unless you like modernity and luxury. Awful breakfast. Enormous enormous fun. A. Christie finished Murder on Orient Express here.

My diary of my visit to Syria, a country I love madly, is here. 

6 comments:

  1. Mustafa Kemal Pasha also stayed there as the Ottoman army was retreating from Syria at the end of the 1st World War. When a mob attacked the hotel he came down the stairs with 2 pistols blazing. Don't know if its true or not but it always came to mind going down to breakfast.

    Definitely one of my favorite hotels, up there with the old Bela Vista in Macau and the Taj Talha in Sana'a

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sound like a soul-mate. It's easy to imagine all the interesting places are long gone then one comes across them still going strong - though not in the case of the Baron or Aleppo which are no longer going strong at all. It is very, very sad indeed.

      Delete
  2. Very sad, stayed a week in 07. This is the first account I've been able to find.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stayed a week in 07, what history. I really hope it makes through in one piece. Was very disappointed to hear what happened to the aleppo souk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is dreadful. http://www.mintpressnews.com/syrias-aleppo-civil-war-destroyed-cultural-jewel-middle-east/175739/

      Delete