Monday 24 October 2016

Hallowe'en rears its ugly head again, a bit sooner each year

SHARE
I am a very easy going man but three things do slightly annoy me. One, the Americanised international commercial celebration of Hallowe'en, which feels like American cultural imperialism, secondly the fact that people seem to talk about it all through October, BUT MOST OF ALL the way people miss off the apostrophe. That does annoy me. 

On the other hand, it's harmless fun and another excuse for Romanians to have parties, as if excuse were ever needed. 

On the third hand Romanians should mark St Andrew's Eve, which is the eve of my own natal day.

3 comments:

  1. I share your dislike of the way Hallowe'en has gone. And I suspect that its new obsession with horror might come from the Mexican Day of the Dead and thus ultimately from the horrors of the Aztecs.
    Caroline Macafee

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's annoying but Americans didn't force anyone to celebrate this ... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's annoying but Americans didn't force anyone to celebrate this ... :)

      Not actually force at gunpoint, no. But it is very difficult to resist the tidal wave of American pop culture. I have to admit that Hallowe'en is one of the less awful manifestations of American culture.

      Delete