Wednesday, 30 November 2016

Tea with Neagu Djuvara on my birthday

SHARE

A nice birthday present was being invited to tea by Neagu Djuvara, the 100-year old Romanian historian and thinker.


I was pleased that my Romanian was good enough to understand pretty much every word he said. He welcomes Trump's election - Trump is the sort of 'primitive peasant' who is needed, 'a bull', rather than Hillary, who is 'too harmless'.

But he does not think Russia a threat to Romania - it's simply Romanians' habit to think Russia a danger. The real danger is Muslim immigration and the inevitable Muslim conquest of Europe.

He slightly offended the woman friend I brought with me, whom he seemed to enjoy, by saying she was was 'too intellectual for a woman'. She was not offended on behalf of her sex but because he might have meant she was not attractive. I saw yet again the unbridgeable chasm that separates Romanian from British thinking. 


I think he was flirting, but with 100 year-old savants it's not easy to tell.

4 comments:

  1. David in Banja Luka1 December 2016 at 11:33

    Paul,

    If it was your birthday recently, many happy returns :).

    David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe you're Sagittarius like me. YUCK!

      Delete
  2. David in Banja Luka1 December 2016 at 13:04

    It sounds as if you enjoyed a pleasurable and memorable tea party.

    And at least you are not 100 years old ;).

    Herewith a belated digital birthday gift:

    https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Economics

    Browsing should give rise to a smile or two :).

    David

    ReplyDelete