Tuesday, 28 November 2017

This England

SHARE
I was fascinated when at a newspaper party yesterday evening, someone I used to know years ago and got on fine with, embraced me, discovered from the conversation he had come in on that I had voted for Brexit, and said: "I'd rather spend an evening with a child molester than with a Brexiteer."

Ruth Dudley Edwards



I thought I would dip my toe in the political waters once again. It has been an interesting and educational process. And I am struck, not for the first time by the unique degree of self-loathing that a certain kind of middle-class Briton has for their own country.
I said other places had problems too. Well, uh ... they do.
In no other country that I know of would so many people immediately react by saying, "We're worse. We're crap. We're so, so, so inferior" ... implying, of course, that they are hugely superior for believing that.
But here's the thing. I know we've got problems. I'd have to be a total idiot not to have spotted that things aren't exactly 100% tickety-boo.
I simply pointed out that we aren't alone ... and the fact that so many British people are outraged by anything that suggests that Britain is not uniquely, egregiously awful - preferring to indulge in an endless self-fulfilling smog of gloomy prognostication - is, in fact, one of the things that really is wrong with this country.


Tom Cain

3 comments:

  1. What a stupid and un-thought through comment to make about Brexiters. I don't agree with peoples views and want to hear their views on how they see Brexit working for the benefit of the whole nation beyond the usual nationalistic slogans. BUT I would have no time for those Remainers who say things like this. It is everything that is wrong about the debate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh waa waa waa. Brexiteers are so put-upon by the mean old elitists who turn up those pointy noses. Too bad the doughty Brexit side voted for something they had no idea how to implement properly. Now everyone else is stuck with the anxiety, the mess -- and the bill. Brexiteers as usual have no shame and zero insight as to why people do not respond warmly to their malpractice/ineptitude these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh waa waa waa. Brexiteers are so put-upon by the mean old elitists who turn up those pointy noses. Too bad the doughty Brexit side voted for something they had no idea how to implement properly. Now everyone else is stuck with the anxiety, the mess -- and the bill. Brexiteers as usual have no shame and zero insight as to why people do not respond warmly to their malpractice/ineptitude these days.

    ReplyDelete